Thursday, April 12, 2012

Another Forgotten Vicksburg Road: N. Fisher Street


North Fisher is another one of Vicksburg's odd semi-hidden streets. Now you gain access from Hugo Street to the south. Once upon a time, the road snaked down the steep hill from Fort Hill Drive, but I am not sure if it is passable now.



I drove here in 2003 to photograph two houses on the City of Vicksburg demolition list. When the city inspector deems a house to be dangerous, sub-standard, or vermin-infested, and the owner cannot be located or refuses to make repairs, the city has the authority to demolish it. The spray-painted number indicates that the inspector had been to the property. The interior photograph shows the inside of No. 1507. The City used to fax the demolition list to me; then one day they said I had to go downtown and pay for photocopy reproduction. Odd.

Surprise, the second house was also No. 1507. Both are now gone.

The color photographs are scans of Kodachrome 25 film, scanned with a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 as TIFF files. Nos. 1 and 2 were taken with a Leica M3 rangefinder camera with 50 mm f/2.8 Elmar lens. This was a 1970s version of the 50 with dual focus scale.  The black and white view of 1507 (the second 1507) is a scan of a 4×5-inch Tri-X sheet, exposed with a 75 mm f/8 Super-Angulon lens.  I developed the Tri-X in Kodak HC110 Dilution B.  This has been my normal development method since the 1970s.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ran across this blog and have read a few of your articles. As a fellow resident of Vicksburg I find it very interesting. I also enjoy exploring some of these out of the way places, though I have not done much exploring lately. Anyway, look forward to reading some more of your work.

Kodachromeguy said...

Thank you for the comment. Vicksburg does have a lot of odd places to explore.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog by googling info about the deserted house (big huge house) on east ave in Vicksburg! I love this blog. I am 23 and I have lived in Vicksburg, my whole life.